- Automatic Control:
- Introduction to Feedback, Dynamic system behaviour.
- Math review: Fourier series, Transforms, Linear Time Invariant systems, Notion of stability, different types of stability, Non stability.
- Non-linear system behaviour, Linear system behaviour, Linearization.
- Introduction to logic using gates, Review of combinational logic circuits, Introduction to Sequential circuits, preliminary design of sequential circuits, flip-flops, registers, counters, tri-state gates.
- Register, Register data transfer, Timing register data transfer, Timing and control circuitry
- Sequential circuit design examples design considerations for arriving at appropriate data/control paths.
- Functional architecture of microprocessors, terminology.
- Introduction to Microcontroller Programming, Interfacing– A/D, D/A, Timer
- Slides on combinational and sequential logic:
Forgotten what you learnt in EE101? Here is some content to help you quickly brush up the basic concepts required for this course.
- Introduction to logic gates. Read this only if you don’t remember the basic gates, Boolean algebra and DeMorgan’s theorems!
- Karnaugh Maps. Or K-maps in short. Learn how to create a K-map and how to express the output in the standard sum-of-products form.
- Combinational circuits. Addition of Binary numbers, Half Adder, Full Adder (not the snake!) Why are NAND and NOR universal gates? Multiplexers, De-multiplexers, Decoders, Encoders and their applications.
- Sequential circuits. Basic memory elements. RS Flip-flops, Clocked and Edge-triggered Flip-flops, JK Flip-flops.
- More on Flip-flops and counters. D Flip-flops, Shift registers, Counters. Counters include binary ripple counter, decade counters, synchronous counters.
- Introduction to Control: Open loop vs closed loop control: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-OqgFE9SD4&list=PLUMWjy5jgHK1NC52DXXrriwihVrYZKqjk
- Basics of a Microcontroller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKT4H0bstH8
- Example Topics on Microcontrollers, Peripherals and Programming:
Content from the NPTEL Course on ‘Microprocessors and Microcontrollers’
- Intel 8085 Microprocessor
- Intel 8086 Assembly. Instruction descriptions and usage examples
- Intel PIO 8255
- Intel 8254 Timer/Counter IC